1. Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States.
2. More than 5 million Americans are living with the disease (I’m guessing this figure does not include Americans living with other types of dementias like FTD).
3. 1 in 3 seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or another dementia.
4. In 2012, 15.4 million caregivers provided more then 17.5 billion hours of unpaid care valued at $216 billion.
5. Nearly 15% of caregivers for people with Alzheimer’s or another dementia are long-distance caregivers.
6. In 2013, Alzheimer’s will cost the nation $203 billion. This number is expected to rise to $1.2 trillion by 2050.
If you haven’t been touched by dementia, you will be. It’s only a matter of time. If you have, then you know more needs to be done in terms of funding and research. WE NEED A CURE!